Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Using Essential Oils: Peppermint

I have been into natural and alternative medicine for quite a while but I admit that the whole essential oil information has been a mystery to me--until recently.  I have an acquaintance who regularly was posting information about how to use them to effectively deal with many common complaints for health.  It started to attract my attention and I wanted to try some for myself.  About that time I noticed this particular company (Young Living) was offering an incentive to "sign up" as a distributor by allowing you a $40 credit once you placed your initial order so it seemed like a good time to invest in some good everyday oils and be able to order at distributor prices instead of retail prices.

So I have been experimenting.  With my credit, I ordered a home diffuser and I'll have to tell you I am HOOKED on using it!  I always keep a candle going in my office during clinic days so it seemed like a great idea to simply diffuse essential oils there that would have a positive effect on my office atmosphere (and health!).  But I am using it in my bedroom at night.  It offers a little "white noise" as it humidifies the room slightly and diffusing either a wonderful smelling scent or something more therapeutic.  I have found myself sleeping more soundly and longer, a side effect I did not expect.
The scent I enjoy the most at night is a Young Living blend called "Peace and Calming".

I tend to have multiple digestive issues.  The other day I experienced multiple trips to the bathroom with my tummy upset and decided to try the benefits of simple peppermint essential oil.  Rubbed it on my belly and the diarrhea immediately STOPPED.  No more even since then.

So, I thought I might share over several posts some uses for a few of the most common essential oils.  The first is peppermint.

Peppermint can be dropped directly into some water or tea to simply enjoy the flavor but the digestive benefits are many.  You can mix it with a good quality carrier oil (coconut is excellent) and apply to the skin.  It can be diffused are inhaled directly and will stimulate alertness and improve concentration (think exams, mental tasks, staying awake)  It can trigger a sensation of fullness after meals (think diet!).

Peppermint rubbed directly or diluted with a carrier oil onto the soles of the feet can lower a fever.  Great for children.

Rubbed on the temples, forehead and back of the neck, it can help a headache go away.

It can replace Tums, Prilosec and other antacids when taken internally or rubbed over the stomach.

It helps with nausea, travel sickness and morning sickness.

It is anti-inflammatory so can be instrumental in helping with arthritis and tendonitis.

It can help with congestion (nasal or chest)

You can make a homemade VapoRub by combining 1 heaping Tablespoon of coconut oil with 3 drops of eucalyptus oil, 3 drops of lemon oil and 3 drops of peppermint oil.

Helps with bad breath.

Who knew a little peppermint could do so much?  I don't recommend purchasing inferior quality essential oils, but investing in oils that are therapeutic food grade quality with a proven reputation.  This is one of the reasons I only use Young Living.

Here is a short news video featuring a diffuser used in the workplace and how it is affecting people there:



This one is a story on Fox News about a group of women who experienced the health benefits of Young Living essential oils:






2 comments:

Sandy Chapel said...

I want to be a middle wife like you!

Sandy Chapel said...

You are so stinkin' smart.